After lots of paper shuffling, printing, (going to the store in Asheville to purchase more printer ink), filling in forms, copying forms, getting my signatures notarized, I have just sent off the final (I hope) papers to apply for the apartment in Durango CO.
And people have been asking what it looks like. So since not everyone does Google Earth (the best way to see any place at least in the US) I went scrolling around my new (to perhaps be my) neighborhood.
In case you didn't read my blogs over on When I Was 69 last week, I've been offered an apartment in Durango as of July 1, but have to send in the application asap. I can still follow all the plans I've made with my sons for moving later in July when they are available.
----------
First a map, please. Close to the center is a blue bubble for Famburger. The word itself is across a long white roof, which is Tamarin Square Apartments, at the corner of E 14th St and E 3rd Ave. The address is inset in the square at the bottom of the map.
Other things to note are the narrow gauge railroad which crosses the Animas River just to the north of the apartments. I've already located a nearby (walking distance) coffee shop in the other direction!
On the right you see a greyish area, with a place indicated as lookout 2. That's basically a cliff going up to the college. I will be facing the other direction (probably west) which looks out over the town to the mountains beyond.
So now I'll use Google to go around, starting with going down the hill facing the west, down 14th St. (They are so clever, streets go all east/west, avenues go all north/south.) The building to the far right is Tamarin Square.
Now I've turned toward the apartments at that corner which is E. 3rd Ave. Notice nice sidewalks everywhere!
We go down to E. 2nd Ave, and you can see the 4 story red brick apartment building over this closer building, with the high cliff covered with trees in the background.
We keep going to E. 15th St, looking west at an intersection which has a railroad crossing. This is the special tourist train to Silverton CO.
Looking to the right (east) up E 15th St, we can see the apartment building again and the trees on the cliff behind.
At E 3rd Ave, 15th St. stops, and becomes a highway number going to the north to the left. And you can only go just to E. 3rd Ave to the right. I'm pretty sure there was a signal light at that intersection when I visited last year. (These Google photos were made in 2024) It becomes a beautiful boulevard, with trees and a grassy area in the middle, and some of the most elegant old homes in town!
So if you think I'm being a bit premature in posting these photos of the area when I haven't even been approved for an apartment, I have a plan.
I was perfectly happy with the apartment possibility in Cortez. And I haven't sent in my thanks but no thanks yet, since I want it to be my safety net at this point.
Durango plans may or may not work out. I'm even going to continue doing the lease requirements for another year here in Black Mountain, just in case...
But I'm also aware that what you think and talk about, what energies you express out into the world, can actually attract things to you.
A friend said it's superstitious. But I think it's also making reality, or as some people say, manifesting things.
If that's all a bit whoo woo to you, OK. At some points in my life, especially considering some very way out ideas, I would agree.
Right now I feel very blessed. I'm certainly grateful.
And until there's a definite approval, it's still a big "if."
I can still think that I have 3 apartments now though.
You’ll know your places well already when you get there.
ReplyDeleteAs long as the area doesn't change much over a couple of years, that's true. The lack of trees around the apartments in Cortez is a case in point, that the photos may not represent today's reality.
DeleteThis looks like a master class in keeping your options open.
ReplyDeleteWell defined! Not sure what a master class might be, but I'll take it. There are certainly ways I can live with any of the possibilities.
DeleteI really, really hope you get this place. It just looks ideal and the trees are so wonderful.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely moving my energies in that direction. Thanks for adding yours too!
DeleteA kind of sympathetic magic. Assume it is yours and it will become yours. When the shop across the street came up for sale it took a couple of weeks before we decided to buy it but by then there was already a contract on it. Marc told the realtor if it fell through to call us. I wrote down the address with the note 'my shop' and put it in my wallet. About two weeks later the realtor called, The buyer backed out, did we still want it. Closed on it a few days later.
ReplyDeleteI found this kind of situation when I graduated from college. I just couldn't find a job, and talked with a potential person on the phone, but decided to take another one which meant moving to a great town. When it fell through (I couldn't really understand her dictation which I was supposed to be typing and she had quite an accent) I called the other person to see if it was still available. And off we went to interview there, take a great job offer, and then move again.
DeleteI think you are juggling the apartments masterfully. I call it "having your ducks in a row". You have a Plan A, a Plan B and a Plan C.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy being Woo Woo. I have a bag packed for the next time the ambulance takes me to the hospital. It is on a chair by my front door. When people (mostly my children) ask about it, my husband is now comfortable saying it is my hospital bag. Are there any plans for me to go to the hospital? No. Am I having any concerns right now? No. But I feel like if I plan and am prepared, it won't happen. Woo Woo.
Oh that's a great idea to fend off the possibilities of injury or illness by being prepared for it. Maybe along the same lines as my many supplies for first aid, though in reality they were needed for a lot of dings when I started the packing efforts. I'm not as graceful as I once was, and have very thin skin now. I hope your "reverse psychology toward hospitalization" continues to work for you!
Delete